Thursday, March 13, 2008

Quit smoking for a good natured baby

I was intrigued by the article in today's Scotsman about a study which showed that women who gave up smoking during pregnancy were more likely to have good natured babies.

I quit a longstanding and heavy smoking habit the minute I saw a positive pregnancy test and I ended up with the world's easiest baby. I hadn't really considered that the two might be connected. Even now, she is generally sunny rather than stormy and a real pleasure to be around.

Unsurprisingly, the study reveals that babies whose mothers continued smoking were more likely to have babies who cried more and who had an irregular routine. I guess this is just the tip of the iceberg and you're quite lucky to have a baby who cries when you are exposing them to a greater risk of miscarriage, stillbirth, SIDS and respiratory complaints.

Intolerant? Probably, but justifably so. I have very little sympathy for women who continue to smoke when pregnant or any parent who smokes round their children. If I can give up, anyone can. Kerry Katona has gone on about how her health professionals advised her to keep smoking because it would be less stressful than giving up. I am sure that's her hearing what she wants to hear. I'm sorry, but there's no excuse.

3 comments:

Tristan said...

I do wonder how much this is due to the sort of parent you are rather than the direct effects of smoking.

If you don't give up smoking, it indicates to me that you are less likely to give the stability and regular routine which helps create a good natured baby.
There may also be a genetic factor as well.

I too have little time for parents who smoke, especially whilst pregnant, but ultimately it is their own choice...
(congratulations on giving up by the way).

Unknown said...

Off topic, but I fell across you looking for other F1 fans. Turns out we also love the Sound of Music and Grease...LMAO!

That's quite a combo we both have going on....

How's the weather back home? And which F1 team do you support?

Unknown said...

Sarah, I'm definitely a Ferrari girl, ever since the days of Berger and Alesi.

Tristan - I don't consider routine necesssary for a sweet tempered baby. Some need it, others don't. My life is generally barely organised chaos and my daughter just adapted to that. As long as Mummy was around she didn't care what time of day it was and didn't really have a set pattern.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails