Friday, October 30, 2009

Caron gets Steamie

Ok, so that's a bit of gratuitous headline grabbing. Alternatively, for those of you who actually know me on real life, it's put you off your dinner. There is more than a grain of truth in it, though, unlike my previous attempt at getting your attention, when I intimated that Charlotte Gore was a witch.

Anyway, the reason for this attention seeking is to tell you about a new(ish) collaboration between proper journalists and humble bloggers north of the border. The Scotsman newspaper runs a political blog, called The Steamie, and has added a blogger from each party as a guest contributor. So I, Jeff at SNP Tactical Voting, Kezia on her Labour soapbox (which has moved this week so click this link if you haven't updated your blogroll to get the new address), Scottish Tory Boy and James for the Greens will all be indulging in robust political debate and banter in the run up to the General Election.

A steamie is a Scottish phenomenon, as the Steamie's homepage puts it:

The 'steamie' was the name given to the communal wash-house that was common in urban Scotland in the 1950s. The phrase has survived into contemporary Scottish speech - when something is "the talk of the steamie" it's the talk of the town, the word on the street.

The raison d'etre of the blog is, apparently, to be the place where Scottish politics "washes its dirty linen". It has a mix of serious posts and titbits of gossip from Scottish politics.

I wrote this post earlier in the month about Labour and Tory spending plans and today I've done this one called "It's the Economy, Stupid". It certainly seems appropriate as my friend has lent me the War Room DVD of the Clinton election campaign which I'll watch once this weekends orgy of reality tv, F1 and Hallowe'en is out of the way.

What I'd like to know from you, dear readers is whether you want me to cross post the Steamie posts in full here or whether a link when I've done one will suffice.

It's an interesting project and I'm looking forward to contributing more regularly.

2 comments:

Stephen Glenn said...

Actually those of us who know you really well and have met the other 4 bloggers who get Steamie knew exactly where you were going with the headline.

I say cross post, maybe after a convenient time lag.

Jeff said...

I'm going to be a bit of a hypocrite and say that i don't believe in crossposting as one should be writing for one blog or another BUT i suspect i shall indulge in double posting every now and again as the temptation will prove too much.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails