Monday, January 17, 2011

A venture into the foothills

I hope you're not looking for political analysis this morning as I'm just briefly looking in here before I head to my first ever Zumba class. I'm sure my ears will be burning at the laughter this will cause amongst all my friends when they read this, but you have to start somewhere, and I like to think that I'll brighten their Monday mornings.

I am more unfit and heavier than I have ever been in my life. Being ill has meant that the problem has just got worse and worse and I haven't had the physical ability to do anything about it. So, today I'm going to try something new. I actually love exercise classes, even though I have absolutely no sense of rhythm or co-ordination. I like the buzz you get after a workout.

I will probably make the place look very messy, and I'll hide at the back and do as much as I can, at my own pace, but hopefully I'll like it as much as everyone says I will and in a few weeks' time I'll see an improvement. I presume that this Zumba lark must have something going for it, given that you can hardly move without seeing a class advertised. Apparently our local Bannatyne's has classes every day, as well as most venues in the community.

While I might not have the finesse of others, I will certainly have enthusiasm and I have every intention of enjoying myself. Whether the foundations of the community centre, or the geology of West Lothian can take the strain is another matter, of course, but I'll let you know how I get on later.

You have to start somewhere, I reckon, with no great expectations, and see where it leads. I'm not going to climb Everest overnight, but a wee saunter into the foothills can't do any harm.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails