Thursday, October 25, 2007

Nick or Chris?

I still haven't finally decided who to vote for in the leadership contest, although it does seem that Nick wants my vote much more than Chris does. Maybe it's because so many of my friends have endorsed him and are trying to suck me in that I feel that way.

My big dilemma is that I like Nick and I know he could do the job. However, I'm not sure I would want to go down all the policy routes he might want me to. There are just some things that market forces can't fix and I want to be sure that his way of doing things properly protects those who need it. I also want to see a strong commitment to social justice.

I also take slight issue with his attack on the SNP yesterday. Yes, they are a one trick pony, yes we were probably right not to go into coalition with them this time(though we could have tried a little harder). However, we should not rule out partnership working with them in the future as we are doing in a number of local authorities across Scotland. All political parties contain competent people with good ideas and we should be seeking to make the most of common ground and work with them where we can. Of course, the Nats have completely let the people of Dunfermline down - their candidate promised to reverse the changes to the local hospital, but now they have power, they've dropped that idea. Also, Nick needs to realise that it's up to the Scottish Parliamentary Party and not the Federal Leader, who we do or not go into Goverment with.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails