Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Come on, Miss, where is your Christmas spirit?

A primary school teacher in Edinburgh has caused controversy by agreeing that Santa Claus does not exist.

When you discuss these matters, I feel it's always important to respect both believing and questioning children. All will come to their own conclusions in good time and surely it's best to let that process happen naturally.

For me, the truth of these matters is simple. Santa Claus comes to those children who believe in him. If any child stops believing in him, then of course their parents have to step in so that they don't find an empty stocking on Christmas mornning. I have said to my daughter that if she ever doubts, then she should give me the heads up so that I know that I have to buy her presents.

What worries me, though, is that this teacher, who probably has a perfectly good service record, might now be victimised, perhaps forced into the retirement the Evening News says she is close to. If it were for this reason alone, that would be silly.

LibDig This!

2 comments:

KelvinKid said...

Surely any child of nine still believing in Santa Clause must be retarded or at least hedging their bets?

Unknown said...

That's a bit harsh.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails