Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Happy Anniversary - my marriage grows up

Today Bob and I celebrate our 21st wedding anniversary, so I'd like to take the opportunity to thank my poor long suffering husband for putting up with not just me, but the Liberal Democrats in their various guises for all this time.

When we got married, Mrs Thatcher was still in power, Paddy Ashdown had just been elected the first leader of the Liberal Democrats and Labour was led by Neil Kinnock.

look what was number 1 at the time:



but this was kicking at its heels:



We were watching these films back then.

We were apparently all wearing these. I never had one, but Bob did, and, yes, it did smell.

And Richard and Judy were about to become the stars of daytime TV.

There was no internet, no blogging, no Facebook, no mobile phones, no Twitter. Do you know, I think we might have had to talk to each other, in the same room:-).

When we got married we didn't have a tv - although I got that sorted for the new series of Doctor Who which started in October. That was a complete cracker, the 25th anniversary series with Remembrance of the Daleks and Silver Nemesis, two of my favourite stories ever. I loved the combination of Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred, too.

Bush and Dukakis were fighting it out for the US Presidency.

The weird thing is, all this doesn't seem that long ago.......

I've just this minute had a phone call from Cllr Gerry McMullan, Lib Dem Councillor for the West Fife Villages, who tells me that he's been out and about celebrating the 150th anniversary of author Jules Verne's visit to West Fife. He'll be on STV News at 6pm. They walked from Crombie Point through Torryburn and towards what we know as Inzievar House but he called Oakley Castle in his book. So, 26th August is another famous anniversary.

You know me, any excuse to extend a celebration. I have actually worked out that on 21st September, I will have been married to Bob for more than half my life. I will have to rake out some of the photos and scan them in to show you.

2 comments:

subrosa said...

Congratulations Caron and many more anniversaries. So few manage to last the course these days or bother to get married at all.

Richard Gadsden said...

Wow, you were married on my parent's 21st anniversary.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails