Saturday, December 29, 2012

Vigil for woman raped in Delhi outside Indian High Commission in London tonight at 5:30 pm

If I didn't live 400 miles away, I'd be with Maelo Manning outside the Indian High Commission at 5:30 this evening. She's holding a vigil for the woman who was gang raped on a bus in Delhi a week ago and who, sadly, died from her injuries earlier today.

Maelo writes movingly here why she's doing this:
The reason I am doing this is first and foremost to remember a poor young woman who spent a Saturday evening watching a movie with a friend, caught a bus home and then was gang raped on the bus. She died in the last few hours. As far as I know her identity has not been released. I don't know her name. But I don't need to know her name because the violence she suffered is a severe and evil violation of every woman's right to personal security. Rape has become so common place all over the world. Small girls and boys and grown men and women are raped everyday. This needs to stop. RAPE CANNOT BE NORMALISED.
Please join me if you can and bring candles and a belief in women's rights.
If you can get to India House in Aldwych to support Maelo, please do so.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails