Saturday, October 02, 2010

Scottish Liberal Democrats set for exciting Conference

This time next week, the Scottish Liberal Democrat Conference in Dunfermline will be drawing to a close. It looks as if it's going to be one of the busiest and most exciting events for years. I have never known there to be three separate fringe sessions, with choices of events,most of which are offering "refreshments and buffet" at an Autumn Conference in all the 10 years I've been back in Scotland.

The agenda is busting full of interesting debates: our pre manifesto, setting out the themes of our Holyrood election campaign next year, creating jobs, public service reform and excellence in education; a fair deal for rural drivers - how to make progress on making sure drivers in our far flung areas aren't penalised in terms of fuel prices; fairer pay; detailed education policy.

We have speeches from Danny Alexander, the Chief Secretary to the Treasury, Scottish Leader Tavish Scott and a question and answer session with Secretary of State for Scotland Michael Moore.

There are record numbers of Scottish members attending and it promises to be one of the best conferences we've had to go for a while. If you're a party menber, or an interested observer, and you want to come along,  find out how here.

Rumour has it that at least one of the presidential candidates is coming - and the other one certainly should.

My health has meant that I've missed all but half a day of the past 3 conferences. I am hoping that I will be able to go - I'm certainly confident enough to have booked my place. I'm really looking forward to it and to catching up with people I haven't seen in ages.  It means I'm going to have to miss Strictly for the second out of three live shows, but it'll be worth it. But enough blogging for now - I must go and pour my pre Strictly gin and tonic for tonight.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails