Friday, November 27, 2009

Twitter is marvellous because..........

Where else, before you've even got out of bed in the morning can you:

discover that the Lib Dems have won a by election in St Austell and Newquay, where Tory PPC Caroline Righton recently smeared Liberal Democrat candidate Stephen Gilbert;

give Nadine Dorries some advice on how to tweet pictures from her Blackberry (not in the same league as my friend Sarah (@soggous) who recently helped Jenson Button's girlfriend fix her Mac, mind you);

engage in intelligent discourse about the relative merits and demerits of Google Wave which included the phrase, from Charlotte Gore, "It's collaborative, rich media, non-linear communications!"?

I've also seen love blossom across the twitterverse, between two of the Formula 1 crowd I hang out with egged on by a couple of matchmakers whom I've now engaged to find a husband for a friend of mine (Andrew will know who I mean, although they are a bit doubtful they can find a pleasant Scottish based cowboy).

And twice this week, the combined wisdom of the hive mind has helped me out. Once when I needed some help to do a very urgent favour for Stephen and once today when I desperately needed inspiration for a caveman outfit for Anna tomorrow for her drama class. I may occasionally be able to string a sentence together, but don't ever ask me to do anything practically artistic because bad things will happen.

In many ways it's been my lifeline over the past few months when I've been ill. I literally haven't been anywhere. The Bloggers' Unconference was my first trip to Edinburgh on my own since January. Without Twitter and Facebook keeping me in touch with my friends on a daily basis, I think I would have been dealing with a major dose of Depression on top of everything else that's been going on. Twitter in particular has given me an easily available outlet for my random thoughts when I didn't have the energy for a blog posting.

So now you've had all the niceness and fluffiness from me, have a look at this hilarious and typically cynical post from Charlotte about how to have "the best Twitter feed eva." I'm glad to say there are some of these things I just don't do:-)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails