Wednesday, January 13, 2010

And Now For Something Completely Different Part 1

Last night as I was going to bed, my husband excitedly invited me into the study to see something on his pc. I was possibly a bit grumpy with him at the time because I was, not to put too fine a point on it, knackered and feeling rubbish. However, I found myself, weirdly, being fascinated by it.

Bob's music tastes and mine are as far apart as you can get. How we ended up together I have no idea, but it works! My music collection consists almost entirely of what he would consider to be trashy, cheesy pop mixed in with lots of musical theatre. I think he'd probably consider my Fleetwood Mac and Beautiful South and REM type stuff to be acceptable but nothing else.

On the other hand, he likes what Anna would describe as "rackets" and what is actually defined as various types of house music, deep house, acid jazz, chillout, that kind of thing. He's passionate about it and loves spending time in record shops like Underground Solu'shn. I went in there a couple of years ago when he was really ill. I went up to the owner and asked if he could give me a stack of records Bob would like as a present to cheer him up, which he did, and said that I could bring them back if they weren't to his taste. He'd got him absolutely right though, because Bob loved every single one of them.

Anyway, Bob now buys more vinyl than anything else. In the middle of last year he bought this one of a limited edition of 1000 made by these people.

He didn't tell me at the time, but it didn't take me long to find a conection to Underground Solu'shn. The boss of the Firecracker label, based in Leith, used to work there.

Anyway, every single one of the sleeves of that record were screen printed. And you know what? They videoed the process and put it up on You Tube. This is what Bob wanted to show me last night. In a way showing me was like getting him to read a Lib Dem cammpaign manual or something, but like I say I was weirdly fascinated. You might be too. Enjoy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails