Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Awkward moment of the day.....

So, last night I was very proud of myself. Managing to get technology to work is such a mystery to me that I always feel some sense of achievement, even if it's something any self respecting geek could do under anaesthetic.

All I'm referring to here is successfully managing to get Skype working on my iPad. Not an easy feat given that I had a wee bit of a problem remembering my log-in information.

I've only ever really used Skype for F1 podcasting so I'd forgotten how, but I wanted to get it up and running so I could talk to my niece Laura, who's inter-railing her way round Europe. So, I was lounging on my couch, and then she called me. It was great to be able to see her on the iPad screen and we spent a few minutes chatting away about her plans for today. I was amazed that the audio was so clear even if the picture was pretty laggy.

It was only after we'd hung up that I realised that I'd been talking to her over video phone wearing my pink pyjamas. Not, shall we say, the most flattering garment I possess. I hope she isn't too traumatised.

The clear moral of this tale for all of you is not to Skype me late in the evening unless you are wearing a blindfold. And the clear message for me is to remember I could be caught on camera so to think about what I'm wearing before I press the answer button.






3 comments:

Mr Eugenides said...

One of the few reasons I am glad to have an iPad 1... no pesky camera!

GHmltn said...

Yes - not convinced all this new fangled technology like Facetime and Skype is useful.

And one of my bosses will be exposed as we see the golf course behind him rather than a city street outside the important meeting he is meant to be going to!!

Anonymous said...

haha, oops!

On the computer version it is possible to switch the camera off so the other person just hears you. I'm not sure about the iPad app, but the settings might be worth having a look at in case someone Skypes you & although you want to talk to them, you don't want to answer as you are in your pjs!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails