Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Nick Clegg doing PMQs today at 12 noon

Just in case you didn't realise, with David Cameron in China, Nick Clegg is taking Prime Minister's Questions today at 12 noon.

No doubt Harriet Harman will be ready with questions on tuition fees as students and lecturers, many Liberal Democrats amongst them, gather to protest against cuts in Higher Education.

She may well have a go on welfare reform as well.

It will be a challenging one for Nick, but he has always shown himself to deal with these occasions well. I'm looking forward to it.

I have an unexpected break in the day - I thought I would have to go and help my friend Anne collate orders for the school Christmas cards, but she did it all herself while I was helping at the book fair this morning.

On the third day of this crazy, crazy week, I'm starting to flag a little, so the opportunity to snuggle up on the sofa with my laptop, and possibly to have a nap, is incredibly welcome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I see that Cameron has finally let the cat out the bag about why tuition fees are being raised.

He stated to an audience of Chinese uni students that Increased fees would give English universities like Oxford, Cambridge, London Imperial, University College London, Manchester, Exeter and Newcastle the resources they needed to maintain standards and compete with institutions in America, India and China.

He added: "We won't go on increasing so fast the fees of the overseas students.

"In the past, we have pushed up the fees on overseas students as a way of keeping them down for domestic students. Yes, foreign students will still pay a significant amount of money, but we should be able to bring that growth under control."

So it appears that we have to tighten our belts to make it cheaper for foreign students to study here - I'm sure our poorer domestic students will be glad to hear what their sacrifice is all about.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails