As I write, I am sucking a very small piece, bitten from a quite small square, of Lindt 90% dark chocolate.
Luxuriously smooth, says the packet, and deliciously intense. Well, it certainly isn't for the faint hearted. It looks dark and matt, and not nearly as inviting as its 70% sibling but I think that its keeping its deep, dark pleasures well hidden. It feels grainier and the flavour as it melts goes from bitter to sweet and back to a bitter and intensely chocolatey aftertaste that stays with you for a while. You really can't eat more than one square at a time and it's not what you would reach for to comfort you in the way that only chocolate can.
One square is more than enough but it was definitely as intense as the packet suggested. Already I feel quite mellow. I must have taken one hell of a seratonin hit. I hope it tails off gently.....
Bob tried some last night and denounced it as the worst thing he had ever tasted, conjuring up memories of nasty medicines he'd been fed as a child.
It is certainly an acquired taste. I might try putting some in a chilli and see what it does with the flavour.
It certainly is quite a hardcore experience. I wouldn't want this every day, but it was definitely worth doing.