Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A bit of a wobble as my little girl goes to high school


Seven years ago, give or take a day or so, two adults trying desperately to hide their anxiety and one slightly shy 5 year old showed up at a Livingston primary school. She may have been wary that first day but she soon learned that this was a safe, fun and stimulating place to be. I could not be happier with how the fabulous staff at the school encouraged her and gave her confidence right from the start.

Today, the same two adults have just dropped their daughter off at secondary school. Only slightly nervous, because we're sure she'll love it, but more anxious and fretful at the rate at which time is passing. The years of her childhood have been our best ever. Everyone seems to think you lose your children when they get to high school and I'm not ready for that yet. I know the countdown to Empty Nest Syndrome is well under way. That's for me to deal with, though. The bottom line is that if she's happy, I'm happy. I'm totally with Michelle Obama on the "you're only ever as happy as your saddest child" thing.


It almost seemed as if she did about 5 years' worth of growing up during the course of yesterday. She had a new grown up haircut suitable for a high school pupil. And she went from disinterestedly looking on to single handedly putting together some IKEA flatpack bookshelves with CD rack inserts. She spent the evening building her new bedside table with scary competence, giving herself a well deserved and massive sense of achievement. She's now been told that she can never leave home because she's far too useful.

So, I guess I just want to wish the many people I know who are starting high school, or a new phase of their lives all the very best.  Enjoy every moment!

I had a bit of a wobble mostly related to the speed time was disappearing. I'd like to thank two of my friends, Ellen and Kirsty for turning it into a full blown bubbly tearfest. Both are in the same boat today. Ellen posted this lovely blog post and Kirsty reminded us all of this song on Facebook:



Sob. That is all.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails