Thursday, January 01, 2009

Caron's Blog of the Year 2008

I meant to put this in my review of last year and then forgot. It's clearly going to take more than the dawn of a new year to resolve my scattiness issues.

Anyway, I've spent more time in the blogosphere this year than ever before and I have some firm favourites. For inimitable insight combined with just the right amount of geekiness, there's no rival to Stephen. For Victor Meldrew chic, where better to turn than my tribute blog? I hope that he returns to full time blogging in the New Year. If I want to read something sensible about US politics, Paul or Duncan can always be relied upon to deliver the goods.

If I want good, serious analysis of the international situation, particularly as regards Russia and Eastern Europe, or the challenges facing the financial markets, I look no further than Cicero's Songs

Outside the Party, nobody delivers insults and right wing bile better than Mr Eugenides, even though (and he'll kill me for saying this, he's a really nice bloke in real life. What worries me is that I've agreed with him twice this year:-)

Tom Harris, although he occasionally spouts the creme of Labour bollocks, has led the way for the Labour Party in engaging with the blogosphere and I can forgive his occasional patronising claptrap because most of what he writes is done with good humour and he also does a whole load of X Factor and Doctor Who stuff.

Jeff at SNP Tactical Voting can always be relied upon for good debate, and he does occasionally try to wind me up. I also read Mr MacNumpty for a good Nationalist perspective on life as well as debate on Strictly Come Dancing.

I miss Kezia Dugdale very much for news from a Labour perspective, but Yousuf has been good for debate and is willing to speak out, particularly on issues like the Israeli action in Gaza.

There are so many others I could mention - Costigan Quist is rapidly becoming a favourite for his humourous and irreverent take on life and liberalism.

I can only pick one favourite, though, and for me, this one stands head and shoulders above the others. Step forward Jennie, whose Yorksher Gob is original, occasioally outrageous and outstanding. If you want to combine the Lib Dems, Star Trek, Doctor Who and Harry Potter, to name just some of the things she writes about, you could do no better than make the Yorkser Gob a daily must read.

LibDig This!

3 comments:

Stephen Glenn said...

Well I just had to add that comment to my reviews section.

Jeff said...

Great stuff, I'm aghast that Yorkshire Gob isn't one I've read so I'll correct that pronto.

Any winding up is meant in the nicest possible way, and I like the banter back the way with saying I merely try. I guess I'll have to work harder to get some results!

Loving the "occasionally spouts the creme of Labour bollocks". It does seem to be the Achilles heel of the average Labour blog, a pitfall easily avoided here...

Hope you keep up the blog rate into the new year!

Unknown said...

Thanks for that, both of you. Let's continue to have fun on the blogosphere in 09:-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails