Monday, January 19, 2009

What I'll Miss about George W Bush

I've spent a fair bit of time trying to work out what I'll miss about George W Bush when he leaves the White House tomorrow.

And, do you know what? I can't think of one single thing. I'm just grateful that we've survived the eight years without him going nuclear. I remember watching the awfulness of the 9/11 attacks with shock and horror mixed with fear at what Bush might do in return.

This is a man who allowed torture, rendition flights, waterboarding, detention without trial at Guantanamo Bay, who fiddled while New Orleans was ravaged by Hurricane Katrina, who acted in the interests of big business and not the future of the planet, who set the cause of finding cures for awful diseases back years. He has catastrophically damaged the standing of the US in the world and his actions have made us significantly less safe for years to come.

Loads of people, including Stephen, are combining lists of the stupid things he said during his presidency (and what a joy it will be to have a US President who can string an articulate sentence together). It's a bit of an indictment that his gaffes seem to be the only things worth repeating after 8 years in the most powerful job in the planet.

I can usually find something good to say about most people - but not him. Can anyone help me out here?

LibDig This!

3 comments:

Stephen Glenn said...

Surely I was compiling lists of stupid things rather than combining.

Unknown said...

You're right, of course.

Pedant:-)

Anonymous said...

And Obama is Scottish!
http://uk.youtube.com/user/AyeWeCan

Help speed the word!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails