Saturday, January 03, 2009

Who the hell is Matt Smith?

Wow. That was a bit of a shocker.

I was getting so annoyed with the build up, though. Any other time, you would love to see these old clips of previous doctors and episodes, but there came a point when I was screaming, at nobody in particular, "just f***ing tell us". We knew it wasn't Paterson Joseph within the first 10 seconds, cos they said it was somebody young, which just made it all worse.

And then all of a sudden, with no fanfare, this strange hairstyle attached to a quite beautiful face pops up, and your eyes are drawn to the caption "Matt Smith, Eleventh Doctor".

I expect his will be one of the most googled names of the day. I didn't recognise him immediately, cos I'm rubbish with faces, but when they showed the clips of Party Animals, I remembered how much I'd enjoyed his performance as Danny as the sane head trying to keep a rapidly disintegrating minister together.

Anyway, hats off to Mr Moffatt and co for keeping us all in suspenders so well. I think Matt Smith has potential. It shows something about the confidence of the production team that they are willing to cast someone who isn't a household name to take over after the highly successful Eccleston and Tennant years.

I can't say that I'm looking forward to seeing him in the role because that would be wishing David Tennant's time away, and I don't want to do that, but I do wish him all the best, and I'm sure that all we Who fans in the Lib Dems and beyond will have much to say when he finally takes control of the Tardis.

LibDig This!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Who the hell is Matt Smith?"

Who cares?

Why is there so much obsession among supposed adults over what started out as a TV serioes for children?

Unknown said...

Well it's gathered quite a fan base over the last 45 years. Let's face it, nobody cares about anything as much as a new Doctor or a Blue Peter presenter. I loved both programmes as a child and have kept that enjoyment into adulthood. What is fabulous is that my own 9 year old daughter also loves Doctor Who.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails