Thursday, September 16, 2010

Lib Dem Peer Richard Livsey dies

One of the great by-election wins in my first years of becoming politically active was the Brecon and Radnor by-election in July 1985.  This was when Liberal/SDP Alliance candidate Richard Livsey snatched the seat by just 559 votes.

I was sad to hear the news tonight that he has passed away at the age of 75.

Particularly touching was the tribute from new peer Meral Hussein Ece on Twitter:
Saddened by report that my colleague in Lords, Lord Livsey has died. He was a very active Member, showing great kindness to us new members
He didn't have to go out of his way to help new peers like Meral, but he took the time to do so.

I'm finding it quite difficult that we're losing so many of the people who were important in my youth. In the last few years we've lost Russell Johnston, Rae Michie, Cyril Smith and now Richard Livsey.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails