Friday, January 11, 2013

30 Day Doctor Who Challenge - Day 9 - Favourite Master

The Master, the Doctor's recurring foe. What to choose - the gentlemanly battles between Jon Pertwee and Roger Delgado, the pure hynotic, spine chilling evil of Anthony Ainley, who frightened me much more, or the almost painfully deranged John Simm? I don't see why they had to kill off Derek Jacobi just because Tennant was young and fit - those few minutes he played the Master reborn in Utopia were very good. Simm's performance was excellent, but Jacobi would have been great too and I think the contrast might have been good.

I think it has to be Delgado, just because the partnership with Pertwee was so good and I have a special affection for all that UNIT stuff. And Delgado made such a creepy Vicar in the Daemons which was one of the best stories ever. The problem with this meme is that it makes me want to watch stuff all over again and that distracts me from everything else I have to do. Last year at the Official Doctor Who Convention in Cardiff, I bought a special edition of the Daemons. I must actually get round to watching it...


1 comment:

Allan said...

See, the thing is, I never found Ainley spine chillingly evil. I suppose that's JNT's fault for having his own - slightly sanitised - vision for The Master.

I like Simm's mad Master but for me it's Geoffrey Bever's Master (from The Keeper of Traken). You don't know who it is until the last episode, but you are aware that there is another Time Lord guiding things at the end of Episode 3.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails