Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Did you know Fiona Bruce could sing?

I certainly didn't, until I watched the first of her impressive new documentary series about The Queen's Palaces last night on BBC1. 

She took us through Buckingham Palace with a breathless enthusiasm and managed to fit in a few location visits, notably to Venice, as well.

The script that she'd written was so warm and fascinating and told us a lot more than we learned when we did the official tour of the State Rooms in August. 

I was particularly fascinated by the choice of gift for a Royal Mistress - not one I would have chosen but never mind.

And by the way the chandeliers were cleaned.

Most surprising of all was hearing Fiona Bruce singing along to a Mendelssohn piece being played on the organ. She has a really lovely voice.

I don't want to give too many secrets away because I want to encourage you to watch it for yourselves, which you can do on iPlayer here.  

I'm really looking forward to the rest of the series.

1 comment:

Mark said...

I wanted to learn about Buckingham Palace and instead found myself watching The Fiona Bruce Show. This was a chance to be informative and interesting about the history of the building but ended up as a dumbing down exercise. Fiona did tell us a few interesting snippets but it was all a showcase about Mrs B. I prefer to know about the building with minimal intervention from talking heads - boring perhaps but more useful. Infotainment ugh.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails