Thursday, April 01, 2010

Are you registered to vote?

I have had some very strange dreams recently. One in which the lovely Mr Dr Chocalholic wouldn't let me leaflet a favourite village from my childhood until I'd done about 10 other deliveries first. The same week I dreamed about Boris Johnson and most recently Hugh O'Donnell MSP. All dreams were entirely election related. As was me waking up from a deep sleep with a start the other day because I'd dreamt that I wasn't on the Electoral Register.

The thought of not being able to cast my vote for Charles Dundas was so horrendous that I actually rang the local Electoral Registration Office to check.

I've been slightly bothered by various things on the internet, including this tweet from Esther Rantzen suggesting there were only a few days left. A few days to me means less than a week. My worry is that if people haven't done it by next week they'll think that they've missed their chance. In fact, you have until April 20th for a May 6th election. How do I know that? Cos Mark Pack says and he is always right when it comes to elections.

If your name is not on the electoral register by April 20th, even if something happens in the campaign that really passionately makes you want to have your say between then and May 6th, you will not be able to cast your vote. You can find out more about registering to vote here.

I can't imagine not having my say - and when you think about it, I haven't yet had a Government which has matched my political views and many which I feel have really damaged the country, but if I sit at home and don't bother to make my feelings felt, how is that ever going to change?

My thoughts are never far away from those who are facing or experiencing homelessness. It can happen to anyone, through no fault of their own. Losing your job can be catastrophic. Even if you have no fixed address, you can still vote.

If you don't think your vote will make a difference, have a look at the 2008 Presidential election in the US. The Obama campaign persuaded people who had never voted before to sign up - and look what happened. There are at least 32 million reasons to be cheerful (the number of poorer Americans who will get health cover for the first time). US elections can be very marginal - and that voter registration made the difference. With the UK heading for the closest election in my 26 years of political activity, then it is totally worth having your say. Your vote could make a huge difference.

1 comment:

cynicalHighlander said...

Strange am I dreaming this!

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5jBZW9boBbLJuLIPlU1dcz93aunsA

""The truth is the SNP is as irrelevant in London as the Conservatives are in Edinburgh," Mr Clegg said in the capital."

Poor Tavish as he only has 16 seats 1 less than Annabelle at 17. Nice to know who your friends are.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails