Tuesday, April 05, 2011

On my way to the Scottish Liberal Democrats manifesto launch #sp11

I'm off to the gorgeous Borders today for the Scottish Liberal Democrats manifesto launch. Or at least I will be if they actually tell me where it is. I know the town so far, and Jeremy Purvis has just said on Good Morning Scotland that it's in a working factory - I'm sure I'll work it out. Getting there means I have to be extremely brave, though,  as it means coping with my former boss, Willie Rennie's driving which, though always legal, is of a more robust style than mine.

In terms of detail, I expect to see more flesh put on the bones of the themes we've been speaking about over the past few months. These include:

  • abolishing the Council Tax for pensioners on less than £10,000, paid for by reducing the pay bill for the highest earning public sector employees
  • introducing a pupil premium to ensure that kids from poorer backgrounds don't lose out at school
  • making sure business has the help it needs - with regional development banks providing investment
  • plans for getting superfast broadband out there to all of Scotland - to make Scotland the most connected country in Europe
  • investment in science
  • keeping the free higher education, which we won in 1999
  • opposing the political power grab to the centre, especially a single Scottish police force.
I shall be tweeting from the event and shall try and grab a few people for some interviews. More to come later.......

You should also be aware that this is not the most important thing that's happening today - it normally would be, but my daughter's school play this evening trumps it significantly.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails