Saturday, June 12, 2010

David Coulthard gets an MBE!

I woke up this morning to the fantastic news that David Coulthard is getting an MBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours list.

I followed his F1 career right from his first race, the Spanish Grand Prix in 1994, where he replaced Ayrton Senna, who had been killed at the previous race in Imola. He drove with Williams, McLaren and Red Bull and I really wish he'd stayed for one further season, when Red Bull finally produced a decent race winning car. However, if he had stayed on, he wouldn't be part of the fabulous BBC Formula 1 reporting team where he and Eddie Jordan make us howl with laughter every week.

One of my favourite DC moments was when he won the British GP in 2000, passing Rubens Barrichello in the process.

It's all here:



And then there was the first podium for Red Bull in Monaco where I was so pleased for him that I forgave him for looking like a prat in a red superman cape.



Congratulations, DC, and enjoy your day at the Palace.

1 comment:

BellgroveBelle said...

It's really nice to see DC finally getting recognised.

He, along with my F1-obsessive wee brother, is the reason I got interested in F1 in the first place.

Oddly, I also owe my bridesmaid to a mutual love of DC. Fiona was in the year above me at school doing SYS art when I did my higher, and we got to chatting about F1, finding out we were both mad Coulthard fans. Eight years later, she made my wedding dress and was my bridesmaid!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails